Lower Tranmere Primitive Methodist chapel
What happened to this chapel?
There’s a short account in the 1863 Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of the first Primitive Methodist chapel in Lower Tranmere, Birkenhead.
“Lower Tranmere, Birkenhead Circuit.—The want of a chapel or room amidst the increasing population of this place has been long felt. Vigorous and persevering efforts have been made in the open air, the fruits of which may be with other churches. But a better day has come. Our Wesleyan friends having recently vacated a chapel, we took it on rent, and had encouraging opening services on November 2nd, 1862, conducted by Rev. S. H. Booth, (Baptist) ; George Pennell, Esq., of Liverpool ; and Dr. Palmer, of America.
It was a day long to be remembered. About £5 10s. were collected, and since the opening several souls have found redemption. A Sabbath and a week evening class have been formed, and a Sabbath School has been commenced under promising circumstances. We are led to hope that with the blessing of God on prudent and prayerful management, we shall soon have to send more good news from Lower Tranmere. T. Doody.”
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel in Holt Road at the junction with Leighton Road, but that is a later chapel. That building first appears on Ordnance Survey maps between 1875 and 1899, but it is not labelled as a Primitive Methodist chapel until 1912 . In 1955 it is named as Mount Tabor Methodist church. There is new housing on the site in 2018.
The 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us they were working on a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Tranmere in the Birkenhead station to replace the previous less “commodious” one. It was expected to cost £3,000 and would include a school room and class rooms.
Is that the same chapel or a different one?
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1863 page 245
Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 60