Lymm Primitive Methodist Chapels
Image from a postcard , published by C.E. Ardern, Lymm.
Editor’s note (CH 2021)
In the 1850 Primitive Methodist magazine, John Oscroft tells us more about the opening of the first chapel at “the remarkably clean and pleasant village of Lymm”. After meeting for years for free in a small school-room belonging to Thomas Howard, a revival in 1848-9 doubled the number of members and they decided to build.
Opening services started on January 27th 1850 with preachers being JA Bastow (Keighley), W Auliff (Preston Brook) and G Dickinson (Wesleyan of Warrington).
The building measured 27′ square and 14′ 8″ high and cost £270, of which they had raised £121/9/2. A major contribution came from a tea meeting for 200 held during construction as soon as the roof was put on.
A larger chapel was opened in 1898 next to the original chapel. The architect was J D Mould of Manchester and Bury, and the contractor Henry Thomason of Lymm. In 1966 the chapel united with Lymm New Road (formerly Wesleyan) chapel. In 2019 Street View shows both chapels still in use.
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1850 page 312-313