Poynton Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cheshire
3 chapels: 1851, 1879, 1905
Hugh Bourne, co-founder of the Primitive Methodists, visited Poynton in 1832-33, and preached in a farmhouse at Ward’s End. In 1851 a chapel was built on London Road. This became ‘Ivy Cottage’ in 1879, when a new chapel was built in Clumber Road, which also served as a school until a 3rd chapel was opened in 1905.
The current (2020) Poynton Methodist Church was formed in 1980, when Clumber Road Methodist Church and Park Lane Methodist Church joined together. The building of a new Methodist Church to host the united congregations started at the current location in Poynton civic car park in 1981.