Preston on the Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel

Daresbury, Chesire

Preston on the Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel | by David Hamflett, Jan 2018
by David Hamflett, Jan 2018
Preston on the Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel | by David Hamflett, Jan 2018
by David Hamflett, Jan 2018
Preston on the Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel | by David Hamflett, Jan 2018
by David Hamflett, Jan 2018
Preston on the Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel | photo taken by David Hamflett
photo taken by David Hamflett
Preston on the Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel | by David Hamflett
by David Hamflett
Preston on the Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel | by David Hamflett
by David Hamflett

John Wesley preached at a Meeting House in Preston on the Hill in 1781 and 1783.  By 1818 the building was too small, and a Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1818 on Aston Lane, Preston Brook.  This was at the time of the Cheshire Mission, and the newly formed Primitive Methodist Society took over the Meeting House.

A new chapel was built on the same site, which opened on 4 January 1883. It was considerably altered in 1975.

The church closed for worship on 20 August 2017.

Memorial to William Mainwaring Salt

This memorial plaque to William Mainwaring Salt was behind the organ.

It gives a fascinating insight into the development of Primitive Methodism in the area.

‘In affectionate remembrance of William Mainwaring Salt, of Preston Brook, who died July 9th 1884, aged 83 years, and was interred at Aston Church July 11th. This tablet is erected as a mark of esteem and respect for his memory, his uprightness of character and consistency of life.

He joined the Primitive Methodist Society in this village in the year 1819, and continued a consistent member until his death. For many years he sustained the position of Local Preacher, Class Leader, and Circuit Steward, and in these offices he was of great service to the Connexion.

In the building of this Chapel he was the principal contributor to its funds. In his Will he has left a large sum of money in trust for the employment of one or more evangelists of the Protestant faith, Primitive Methodists preferred, to be employed in and for about four miles around Preston Brook. ‘The memory of the just is blessed’.’

 

Comments about this page

  • The 1883 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 188) contains a note of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel and adjoining Sunday school at Preston Brook. Although the society had been active since 1824, they had only had a preaching house, rather than a chapel.
    Although the magazine locates the chapel in Preston Brook, the co-incidence of opening dates and the note that the society had previously met in a house since 1824 is convincing evidence that the chapel referred to is the one in Preston on the Hill.

    By Christopher Hill (21/04/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *