Sandbach Primitive Methodist chapel
Welles Street, Sandbach CW11 1GT
The first Sandbach Primitive Methodist chapel opened on 20th and 21st May 1832 in Union Street at a cost of £354. Described by T Morgan in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1834 as a galleried building in an eligible position, it measured 22′(w) x 30′(l). Opening services were addressed on the Sunday by T Bateman and M Holden, and on the Monday by Sister E Allen.
The situation was not quite eligible enough so a site nearer the centre of town was bought for £144 at the beginning of 1858 and on May 28th 1858 the first brick was laid by Mr W Dean, a trustee of every chapel in the Sandbach circuit.
Opening services commenced on 12th September 1858. Addresses were given by Rev W Sanderson of Scotter and Rev P Pugh of Tunstall. John Graham describes the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
The chapel was brick built, measuring 45′ x 36′; had a gallery at one end and a ceiling with a broad cornice; accommodated 320 people. There was a schoolroom under the chapel which was 9′ 9″ high and had a boarded floor. Next door was a minister’s house. The whole cost £542 to build of which they raised more than £200.
The chapel closed around 1950 and in September 2016 was in use as a charity shop. The gable end can be clearly seen behind a modern shop front. There is a picture on the Geograph website.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1834 p.150
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1858 pp.746-747