Sproston Primitive Methodist chapel
The opening of the chapel at Sproston in the Congleton circuit is described by W Chubb in the Primitive Methodist magazine, transcribed in the attached document by David Tonks:
“Sproston Chapel – Some years ago the P. M. ministers introduced the gospel, with good effect, into the neighbourhood of Kinderton, a township lying in the vicinity of Middlewich and Holmes Chapel, or Church Holme. The worship was held in Bro. Heath’s house, at Moorsbarrow Hall, on sabbath days; and at Mr. Cook’s house, in Kinderton, on week-nights. But Bro. Heath resigning his farm put us to some difficulty in obtaining a place of worship for the Sundays. This being the case, our friends resolved on building a chapel for the better accommodation of the people. A piece of freehold land was purchased at Sproston; and, with the kind assistance of numerous friends, a neat chapel was erected, twenty-four feet by eleven. In was opened for Divine worship in August, 1840, by Bro. James Bourne, of Bemersley, and P. Morgan, of Macclesfield. The services were well attended, and the collections were liberal. This chapel is Connexional, is in comfortable circumstances, and in it we have a good sabbath school. The Lord be praised. Amen.
Our grateful acknowledgements are due to many friends, who variously contributed to the erection of both these chapels; and we trust they will hereafter receive a full reward”
What happened to this chapel and society?
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel marked on the 1875-6 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of the area towards the the south of the parish, at the junction of Brereton Lane and Jones Lane. The building is still there in 1898 and 1909 but unlabelled. It has disappeared by 1966 and there is no sign of it on Google StreetView in June 2011.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1841 page 285