Whitby Primitive Methodist chapel

Whitby Road Wirral, CH65 6RS

Whitby: return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. Return no: 460 2 3 2
transcribed by David Tonks 2020
Whitby Primitive Methodist chapel

There is a return from the Primitive Methodist society in Whitby on the Wirral  to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. It reports that they were meeting in a dwelling house.

The 1897 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on  the southern side of Whitby Road, just east of its junction with Vale Road. It would almost be opposite where the Salvation Army Citadel is.

Comments about this page

  • According to the 1851 Census, Susanna Meacock lived in Whitby (detailed address not given); she was a widow farming 42 acres and employing two labourers. More interesting was the other respondent, Robert Hill, who lived at Bache Hall and described himself as Landed Proprietor and Merchant. Living with him were his wife, three sons, a niece and six servants. Bache Hall still exists; it is a Grade II-listed building on Countess View, just over a mile north of the centre of Chester.

    By Chris Wells (28/03/2022)
  • An 1872/3 map shows open space (orchard?) where the later PM chapel was built.
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/102341047

    By Chris Wells (09/03/2022)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *