Camborne Primitive Methodist chapel

Trevenson Street Camborne TR14 8HZ

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for March 1851 includes an account by John Richards of the opening of Camborne Primitive Methodist chapel which was in the Redruth circuit.  The chapel was opened on January 12th 1851.

Camborne was at the time a prosperous copper mining district.  The Primitive Methodists had been meeting in a cottage but were given notice. They took 14 perches of land on 99 year lease and “began to beg in good earnest” to fund the building.  The chapel they built was 40′ x 36′, 21′ high and lighted by 13 windows. Over 200 attended the initial tea meeting.

Congregation numbers grew in 1859 so they added galleries on 3 sides – and finished some of the original work. Celebrations included tea in the Market Hall for 400; preachers at the re-opening from Good Friday 1860 were Revs. Joseph Best, C. T. Harris and G. Johnson, Capt J.Thomas and Mr.J. Martin of Redruth.

On the 1879 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map the Primitive Methodist chapel with adjacent Sunday School is shown at the junction of Trevenson Street with Stray Park Road, although it is not certain that this is the 1851 chapel. It is still there in 1967 but on Google Street View in 2009 there is a box shape residential building of indeterminate age.


Primitive Methodist Magazine March 1851 pp 175

Primitive Methodist Magazine August 1860 pp.501-502

Comments about this page

  • Joseph Best tells us in 1860 when the chapel was enlarged that it took them ten years to finish some of the original features.

    By Christopher Hill (31/01/2018)
  • Yes the chapel has long gone, but there were traces of the wall surrounding and possibly a gate post. It is across the road from the Red Jackets pub

    By David Cracknell (24/05/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.