Georgia Primitive Methodist chapel, Towednack
The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1872 contains an account by S.J.S. of the establishment and opening of Georgia Primitive Methodist chapel, in the village of Towednack.
The village – where the last service in the Cornish language had been held in the previous century – was missioned by the Prims in 1870. The Hon Mrs Gilbert provided the land for the chapel on a 60 year lease “at a nominal rent”. The Foundation Stone was laid on June 20th 1871 by Capt R Perry.
The opening took place from October 22nd 1871, when the preachers included the ministers E Richards and Jas Eddy. The new chapel seated around 100 people
The chapel cost over £100 with £30 outstanding at the time of opening. Donors (of money or practical equipment) included Capt Perry, C Magniac (MP), CT Harris, WL Harris and Mr and Mrs E Richards.
The chapel building still exists (2011) in residential use and retains its identifying stone tablet over the front door. The remarkable thing – as with so many rural chapels viewed from today – is wondering where on earth the congregation came from.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1872 page 54