Ludgvan Primitive Methodist chapel and preaching place

Ludgvan : return from the Primitive Methodist chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. Return no: 311 1 2 14
transcribed by David Tonks 2021
Ludgvan : return from the Primitive Methodist preaching place to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. Return no: 311 1 2 10
transcribed by David Tonks 2021

There are two returns from Primitive Methodists in Ludgvan to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship, one for a chapel and one for a preaching place in a dwelling.

The return for the “cottage house” dwelling was completed by the minister, Isaac White of Adelaide Street, Penzance. It held 32 people and 25 attended on Census Sunday for an afternoon service.

The return for the chapel was also completed by Isaac White, but also by William Reseigh. The chapel held 86 and attendance on Census Sunday  was a further 80 in the afternoon and 100 in the evening.  There was a Sunday school: 45 scholars attended in the morning and 35 in the afternoon. The chapel dated from 1835.

Historic England lists a Primitive Methodist chapel dating from 1873 as a grade II Listed Building at SW 51439 35874.  Did that replace the chapel recorded in 1851?  That chapel still exists.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *