Redruth Plain-an-Gwarry Primitive Methodist Chapel

Plain-An-Gwarry, Redruth TR15 1HU

Janet Bastion
former Redruth Plain en Gwarry Primitive Methodist chapel after conversion to flats
Jo Lewis 2019
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1910
Plain-an-Gwarry Primitive Methodist Chapel, Redruth. This card is unusual it unfolds to a tune written be the chapel organist with an un Methodist name Mr R T Beer!
Steve Wild's postcard collection
Redruth Plain en Gwarry Primitive Methodist chapel

This former Primitive Methodist Chapel has now been turned into flats.

It is a grade 2 listed building

Listing detail: II Former Primitive Methodist chapel. 1884; by James Hicks of Redruth. Granite rock-faced walls with granite ashlar front. Slate roof. PLAN: Galleried auditorium with entrance at south east end. Italianate style. EXTERIOR: 2 storey front, rusticated ground floor with central elliptical arched doorway, flanking pilasters and small round-headed windows and advanced end bays with round arch doorways, panelled doors; moulded stringcourse above; superimposed order of pilasters to first floor with large round arch plate-tracery windows, the large centre window rises into gable above the entablature of the pilasters, the end bays are advance in large corner towers with balustrades and pinnacles; gable also with pinnacle; plainer 5-bay side elevations with pilaster buttresses, stringcourses and segmental headed windows; north west gable has rose window. INTERIOR not inspected.

The 1882 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account of the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Redruth. They had wanted a new chapel for some time but could not find a suitable site. However, the account tells us they had found a site near the old chapel and were starting work. The new chapel was expected to cost around £3,000 of which they had raised £2,000. Unusually for a Primitive Methodist chapel, they hoped it would be debt free at the time of opening.

The photograph of the chapel from the postcard in Steve Wild’s collection is unusual in that it unfolds to show a tune written be the chapel organist with the un-Methodist name of Mr R T Beer! You can see and hear that tune here.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1882 page 761


Comments about this page

  • Photos of the predecessor to this chapel are here. Janet was stood with her back to the original Chapel and Manse and the lane giving access, when she took the photo of the Plain-an-Gwarry chapel.

    By David CRACKNELL (08/05/2013)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.