St Erth Primitive Methodist chapel

St Erth : return from the Primitive Methodist chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. Return no: 311 1 1 2
transcribed by David Tonks 2021

The return from St Erth Primitive Methodist chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship is unusual in that it reports that there were no services and no attendance on Census Sunday. The chapel, which it dates from 1839 and seating 64  with a further 200 standing “has not been used by any sect for Divine Service for some time but will be opened by the Primitive Methodists again shortly.”  It was also in use as a day school.

The return was completed by Francis Verrant, the proprietor of the chapel.

The Prims may not have lasted long in St Erth.  The 1886 Ordnance Survey map shows Wesleyan Methodist and Bible Christian  chapels but not Primitive Methodist.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *