St Blazey Primitive Methodist chapel
Station Road St Blazey PL24 2NF
The return from the Primitive Methodist chapel in St Blazey to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship wascompleted by the minister, Thomas Green. He reports that the chapel dated from 1840 and held268 people. On Census Sunday, 180 attended in the morning, along with a Sunday school of 87 scholars, and 127 attended in the evening.
The laying of the foundation stone for a replacement St Blazey Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded by J Bennetts in the Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1860. The old chapel had become too small and dilapidated so they decided to build anew. The new chapel was planned to be 54′ x 38′ and 22′ high.
On May 20th 1860 J Hicks (Lostwithiel) laid the foundation stone. Preachers at the occasion and following tea meeting included J Pithouse (Liskeard) and Messrs, Broadway, Bennetts, Harry, Rich and Rackham.
The opening took place on November 25th 1860. Jospeh Shepherd tells us that the celebrations included tea in the New Market Hall. Speakers included Rev. J. Best, Rev. J Watson (Wesleyan), Rev. W. Harvey, S. Kernick, J Shephard, Mr Bate and Rev. E. Powell, of Penzance. The new chapel cost £450 of which they had raised just over £100.
Cornwall County records tell us that the chapel, called Ebenezer, was first built between 1836 and 1840 on the site of a pre-1832 Mission Hall. It was rebuilt in 1860 and the late 19th century and demolished 1992. The rear of the site is shown on Street View as in use by a funeral director.
There is a photograph of the later building here.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1860 pages 621-622
Primitive Methodist magazine April 1861 pages 235-236
Cornwall Record Office accessed online February 8th 2018 at: https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/28970126/st-blazey_red1.pdf