Tregrehan Primitive Methodist chapel
Chapel Lane Tregrehan Mills PL25 3TH
The Primitive Methodist magazine of April 1857 contains an account by E Powell of the opening of Tregrehan Primitive Methodist chapel in the St Austell Circuit. Tregrehan is a small village just outside St Austell, close to where the Eden Project is now. Primitive Methodism was introduced sometime between the mid 1820s and 1830s and a small chapel built of cobb which would hold 70 people.
In 1854 the congregations were around 15 people but numbers grew with a course of revival meetings. The chapel was taken down and a replacement measuring 32′ x 30′ and 16′ high built. It was opened on February 8th 1857 when William Hicks of Plymouth and Bro. Bracewell preached. E Powell preached in the open air in the evening to a congregation too large to fit into the new chapel. The entire cost was between £140 and £150.
The chapel is still open for worship with 9 members in 2017 and can be clearly seen in Google Street View.