Butterknowle Primitive Methodist chapel, South Side

near Barnard Castle

Steven Wild
Steven Wild
Return from South Side Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
transcribed by David Tonks 2020

Built in 1876 to seat 530 people, it had a Sunday School Hall and one classroom. In 1940 it was in the West Auckland Circuit.

There was a Primitive Methodist society meeting at South Side as early as 1834, when John Denham became a member and later as local preacher. [The 1851 Census of places of Public Religious Worship records a chapel built in 1844. CH-03/20]

In this picture there seems to be a smaller building to the left, which may have been an earlier Chapel.

A memorial names two young men from this church, Richard C Yole and George B Hodgson, who died in WW1.

Comments about this page

  • George Race was the architect of the chapel. It has now been demolished

    By Colin Dews (28/02/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.