THE Primitive Methodists on Rise Carr first took over an old stable and warehouse on Jane Street (later called Westmoreland Street) and turned it into a chapel. In 1889 this became a Sunday School as a new chapel was opened on Rise Carr.
The building closed and was put up for sale in March 1962. Despite plans for its use, the building was derelict and in January 1999 it was destroyed by fire and had to be demolished. The site was then used for social housing.
A Northern Echo article written in 2020 on the time capsule found under the chapel reports:
“After the First World War, two stained glass windows were installed in the chapel.
One was dedicated to the memory of Private Christopher Chipchase of the 11th Durham Light Infantry who, aged 19, was killed on December 19, 1916, at Flers on the Somme. His address was the Alexandra Hotel in Rise Carr, where he worked, but on his army forms he gave his occupation as an “architect and surveyor”. His parents, John and Sarah Chipchase, of Hazelmere House, Durham Road in Darlington, paid for the window.
The second window was dedicated to all 86 Rise Carr lads who gave their lives in the war.
Both windows were consecrated in November 1920 and the following year, Mrs Chipchase paid for a plaque containing all the soldiers’ names to be installed.
It is believed that the plaque is in the Northlands Methodist Church and the windows are in the Bondgate chapel, which is itself now facing an uncertain future.”
Map Ref: 54.54140236619417, -1.5571924712776886
Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: NZ28712 16336