Eggleston Primitive Methodist chapel
The foundation stone for Eggleston Primitive Methodist chapel in the Barnard Castle circuit was laid by Rev J Lightfoot on May 28th 1857, with sermons also by Rev R Garnett, but it took the until February 28th 1858 to open because “the men had promised to quarry the stone when at liberty.” The chapel was 30′ x 24′ and built of “good freestone“.
It cost £169 of which £71 had been raised and seated 150. Donors of money and goods included the London Lead Company (through RW Bainbridge), Duke of Cleveland, C Oliver of Chesterfield (but a native of the neighbourhood), Mr Benson, Mr Hilton of Mouthlock, G Coatsworth, J Dalston and Mr Raine, solicitor who conveyed the property gratis.
Sermons at the opening services and tea meeting (for 400, held in the village school room “kindly granted for the occasion by Mr Benson, agent to T Hutchinson Esq of Eggleston Hall“) were preached by Rev J Spoor of Darlington, J Ross, T Dalkin, W Jones (Staindrop) A Dodds, G Whitehead, R Peel, G Coatsworth, William Robinson.
The opening is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine by Nicholas Nixon and Adam Dodds.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on the 1897 and 1921 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey maps on the B 6278 to the north of the village at the junction with Neamour Lane. It is not clear whether the chapel has been incorporated into one of the houses currently on the site.
Primitive Methodist magazine June 1858 pp.362-363