Eldon Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel

High Street, Eldon Lane DL14 8TD

Eldon Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel

The laying of foundation stones for a new chapel  is reported in the March 1890 Primitive Methodist magazine. It was to replace the previous temporary iron one to meet the demands of the growing society.

The opening is reported later the same year. There was a debt, but a small one.

The 1896 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Front Street (now High Street), at the junction with what is now Millbank Terrace.  On a later map, Millbank Terrace is labelled “Paddy’s Row”.  The building is still there in 1962, labelled Methodist church.  It has disappeared by 1978. In 2009 the site is a house garden.

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1890 page 189

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1890 page 653

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *