Hetton le Hole PM Chapel, Co. Durham
This chapel, opened on Saturday 22nd May, 1858, and known as the “Big Chapel”, is still open for worship in the town of Hetton le Hole.
Originally built without a gallery or organ loft, the chapel had a plaster ceiling resulting in poor acoustics with preachers being unable to be heard. This was remedied in 1865 when the gallery was added which also increased seating to over 1,000.
The organ was added in 1878 at a cost of £335. Built by P Conacher & Co. of Huddersfield, it was considered “one of the best of its day”. Overhauling, cleaning and regular tuning has continued so that it remains an enhancement to the chapel.