Howlet Primitive Methodist Chapel, Pelton Fell, Durham
first chapel opened 1862, rebuilt 1870
Primitive Methodism in Pelton Fell began in 1838. For 25 years, worship was held in miners’ homes, and empty rooms. The first class leader was Benny Robson.
In 1862, one of the leaders, John Batey, persuaded the colliery owners to donate land for a chapel. The colliery owners also gave £25 towards the new chapel, and allowed the miners to dress stone to be used in the building.
The chapel cost £139, and was opened in September 1862 by Joseph Spoor. In 1870 it was replaced by a new Chapel, called the Howlet Chapel, which cost £585. Later, £1,000 was spent on improvements, and £800 was invested for further alterations or improvements.
This chapel was built in stone, with brick ornamentation around the windows.
The chapel closed in the late 1930s, and became a car saleroom.