The 1884 Primitive Methodist magazine records the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Lanchester in the Shotley Bridge circuit. The new chapel would accommodate 200 worshippers and cost £350, of which they would raise over half.
A later edition of the 1884 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of the new Primitive Methodist chapel
The 1896 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel set back behind houses on Front Street at its junction with Kitswell Lane (now Kitswell Road). It is still owned by the Methodist church and part of Croft View Halls.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1884 pages 125 and 571