The Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1900 comments that the story of Malings Rigg chapel had appeared in the Sunderland Echo, and the editor comments that it is a better story than cheap fiction.
- The chapel opened in 1778 as an Independent chapel in what was then a respectable area of the small town of Sunderland.
- It became a Presbyterian chapel
- In 1820 the Primitive Methodists bought it and “for long it flourished”
- “In recent times it had become a mere name
- “By strong effort it has again become a living church and is doing useful work amongst the poor” – it’s area was by then largely slum housing
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1900 page 158