South Shields Glebe Primitive Methodist Church (ii)

Westoe Road, Co. Durham

Click here to see an account of the opening of the predecessor to this chapel in December 1821. That chapel was subsequently rebuilt in 1865.

The Glebe chapel on a new site in Westoe Road  in the pictures was opened on March 12th 1890.

[editors note: CH 07/2020]

 

Glebe PM Church, South Shields pictured in 1983 - the building was gutted by fire in 1987 and subsequently demolished
Bede Circuit Archive Collections
Glebe PM Church, South Shields in 1983
Bede Circuit Archive Collections
Glebe PM Church, South Shields Sunday School Bazaar, 1924
Bede Circuit Archive Collections
South Shields Glebe Primitive Methodist chapel
Christian Messenger 1905/176

Comments about this page

  • The 1881 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 571 contains a note about grand plans for a new Primitive Methodist chapel somewhere in South Shields.”Our friends in South Shields are substituting for one of their chapels a handsome, commodious and well situated set of premises, comprising chapel, school room, classrooms etc. The property will be one of the best in the town . The cost will be around ¬£5,000 nearly one half of which is now in hand and by the (time the) opening services are over a good part of the other half will be raised.”
    Was this Glebe chapel?

    By Christopher Hill (16/04/2020)
  • The Shields Daily Gazette of 29 November 1889 reported the opening of the new Glebe P.M. Lecture Hall and Schools, Westoe Lane, South Shields.  The preacher at the two opening services was Mr Stephenson Stobbs.

    By David Tonks (15/09/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *