Stanhope Hugh Gilmore Primitive Methodist Chapel

Co. Durham

The Weardale Museum
former Primitive Methodist Sunday School, Stanhope
Christopher Hill
Return from Stanhope Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
transcribed by David Tonks 2020

The picture shows the Hugh Gilmore PM Chapel at Stanhope on the cover of the Darlington District Meeting handbook for May 1903, which is held in the collection of the Weardale Museum.
A picture of this chapel is mistakenly published in Kendall’s History of the Primitive Methodist Church (Vol 2, p142) as being the chapel at Westgate.

The Weardale Museum

The Weardale Museum is situated in the old manse to High House Chapel in Ireshopeburn (Wesleyan). Our collection includes records of both the Wesleyan and the Primitive Methodist movements in Weardale. We also have a genealogy database on site which provides a very comprehensive record of all of the people living in the parishes of Stanhope and Wolsingham including Primitive Methodist Ancestors.

Our records are not available online, interested parties have to make a visit to our museum to access them. Please follow the link below for more information.

Comments about this page

  • The start of work on school room, which still stands, is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1889 (page 380).

    By Christopher Hill (08/10/2020)
  • I’ve added a copy of the Return from Stanhope Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship, transcribed by David Tonks 2020. Numbers were low on Census day because it rained

    By Christopher Hill (01/04/2020)
  • Although the Hugh Gilmore chapel in Union Street, Stanhope, has been demolished, the former schoolroom has been converted to a house accessed from Cowgarth Hill DL13 2PA.  It stood at the back of the chapel, at right angles to it and is just visible on the right hand side of the handbook picture above.

    The people who carried out the conversion have set up an informative web site about the project.  It includes historical detail, lots of pictures and documents including the 1847 trust agreement and mortgage, final payments to the Methodist Chapel Aid Association in 1941, consent to the sale of the chapel in 1968 and historical maps.


    By Christopher Hill (25/08/2014)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *