Shildon Fryer Street Primitive Methodist Church
Fryer Street, Shildon, Co. Durham
The 1835 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by W Towler of the opening of Shildon Primitive Methodist chapel. Opening services took place on May 11th 1834 and the chapel is described as a “plain substantial stone building”. The Society had 40 members.
Nineteen years later, the Primitive Methodist magazine of November 1853 contains a brief note by Thomas Russell of the re-opening of Old Shildon chapel – Old Shildon because by then New Shildon had become well established. The chapel had never been painted and now needed repair. The sermon at the re-opening service on September 4th was preached by Robert Clapham of Yarm; two souls were converted.
Thanks to Howard Richter for tracking down this chapel on the 1876 25-inch map, on the east side of Fryer Street (now vanished) at about NZ 2278 2650
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/422780/526503/12/100215 (NB. The Old maps site is no longer freely accessible)
On the next available edition – 1897 – at about NZ 2282 2655 the Fryer Street chapel is no longer marked but there is a much larger chapel at the junction of Primitive Street and Church Street.
There was also a Primitive Methodist Church in St John’s Road, New Shildon.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 p.144
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1853 p.687