Laygate Primitive Methodist chapel was the successor to Templetown/Corstophine Town Primitive Methodist chapel when it closed in 1881. The new church was on Laygate Lane, between numbers 73 – 81.
The 1905 Christian Messenger tells us:
“The new church is of classic design, and seats 700 persons. The situation is one of the best in the town, and the whole of the premises of a most admirable character. In 1883 the Conference visited South Shields, and the sessions were held in Laygate Church. For many years Mr. John Brack rendered this church valuable service in many capacities. The society at Laygate has existed for over eighty years, yet it has only had three chapel stewards. Mr. T. Davison was the first, and was succeeded by his son-in-law, Mr. Mark Moody, and he in turn by his son-in-law, Mr. Edward Coxon.”
The church has since been demolished.
Christian Messenger 1905/176