The Primitive Methodist society at Bowesfield Lane had worshipped in a wooden building for some 15 years before laying the foundation stones for a more substantial chapel, as reported in the 1891 Primitive Methodist magazine.
The October 1891 magazine tells us that the Sunday school accommodating 400 scholars including 7 classrooms had been completed and the chapel would be finished in two months time.
In March 1892, the magazine reports that the “handsome and substantial” chapel has been completed
Bowesfield Lane was located in a populous suburb of Stockton.
Contributions on the Stockton Picture Archive report that the chapel served until 1957 and later became the Rainbow Centre. It was then replaced by a purpose built Mosque. Old Ordnance Survey maps show an unbranded chapel at the the junction of Westbourne Street and Bowesfield Lane. In 2018 it is the site of the Farooq E Azam Mosque & Islamic Centre.
Primitive Methodist magazine April 1891 page 250
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1891 page 635Primitive Methodist magazine March 1892 page 186