Shildon Primitive Methodist Church, Church Street
This Chapel in Church Street has now been demolished. There was also a Primitive Methodist Church in St John’s Road, New Shildon. The PM Church in the bottom postcard only has one entrance door. Could this be the St John’s Road Chapel, not Church Street?
The 1835 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by W Towler of the opening of Shildon Primitive Methodist chapel. Opening services took place on May 11th 1834 and the chapel is described as a “plain substantial stone building”. The Society had 40 members.
Nineteen years later, the Primitive Methodist magazine of November 1853 contains a brief note by Thomas Russell of the re-opening of Old Shildon chapel. The chapel had never been painted and now needed repair. The sermon at the re-opening service on September 4th was preached by Robert Clapham of Yarm; two souls were converted.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 p.144
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1853 p.687