Witton Park Primitive Methodist Chapel
the first chapel
There is an account in the Durham Chronicle recording the re-opening of Witton Park Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1847 and an entry in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship.
laying of foundation stone 1883
The foundation stone of a further Witton Park Chapel was laid on 30 April 1883, according to two presentation labels discovered inside a nicely bound copy of the Primitive Methodist Quarterly Review, for 1882.
The first label reads: ‘Presented to Sir J W Pease, Bart, MP, by the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Witton Park, on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone, April 30th 1883. Benjamin Spoor, Secretary; George Dent, Treasurer; Joseph Ritson and John Laverick, Ministers.
The second label (underneath) is identical, apart from the name. It is ‘Presented to David Dale, Esq’.
Primitive Methodist magazine April 1847 247