Brampton Moatside Primitive Methodist Chapel

Built in 1879 and demolished in 2013

Photographs of this chapel were taken as it was being demolished to make way for a housing development.

Iain Parsons reported,  ‘the structure had become dangerous and there was no chance to stabilise it without horrendous expense. Even then, the prognosis would have been very doubtful. There is a space like a missing front tooth on the Moatside at present. It is hoped that the dripstone heads can be saved.’

Comments about this page

  • The 1878 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 700) records the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Brampton “close by the old cathedral city of Carlisle”.

    By Christopher Hill (11/05/2020)
  • The 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 572) contains a note of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Brampton in the Carlisle circuit. The common opening date suggests it was this chapel. We are told only than it was a “very neat ” chapel.

    By Christopher Hill (07/05/2020)
  • Brampton Moatside, PM Chapel, Cumberland

    This chapel was built in 1879 at a cost of £1149. It had 300 lettable and 50 free sittings. (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/1/26)

    By GW Oxley (10/12/2014)
  • The dripstone heads were rescued from the demolished chapel, although sadly with some damage to the back of Hugh Bourne’s head and William Clowes’ nose. Iain Parsons brought them to Englesea Brook Museum, where they are now on display in the ‘Bourne and Clowes Room’ at the Museum.

    By Jill Barber (26/01/2014)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *