Broughton Moor, Wyndham Row/Standing Stone, PM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY051344

The chapel was built in 1861 at a cost of £184. It had 82 seats in pews and 98 free. Having its entrance centrally placed on the long side between two windows the building closely resembled its near contemporaries at Flimby and Netherton/Ellenborough. It was closed in 1969 and is now (20.09.2014) occupied as a private residence. (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/145, DFCM/14/13)

General view of the chapel
G W Oxley

Comments about this page

  • The opening is recorded by Adam Dodds in the Primitive Methodist Magazine of February 1862 (page 113-114). The foundation stone was laid by William Harrington on 11th March 1861 and opening celebrations including a celebration tea started on November 3rd. 

    Opening speakers included Joseph Fletcher, of Maryport; Revs. Kirkbride, Dodds, and Taylor; Messrs. Jopling, Iline, Auld, and G. Coatsworth. The Sunday school was led by William Buchanan.

    The chapel held 172 and cost £180. It measured 30′ x 24′. 

    By Christopher Hill (26/07/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone