Ellenborough / Netherton* Old Road PM Chapel (1906/7), Cumberland

Grid Ref NY048358

Ellenborough/Netherton*, Old Road PM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY048358

The chapel was built in 1906-7 and the Architect was WG Scott & Co of Victoria Buildings, Workington. It was erected within a walled enclosure with a gable and the main entrance facing the street. Access was through a single storey porch leading to two inner doors at the heads of the aisles which divided up the three blocks of pews. The pulpit, reached by stairs at each side, and sanctuary were opposite the entrance. Behind the pulpit in an elevated position were choir pews and organ loft. The chapel was fifty one feet by 34 feet. Passages each side of the pulpit led to two vestries. There were toilets at the rear of one of the side passages and steps leading to a heating chamber below the vestry at the rear of the other. The contractors and construction cost were:

Shackley mason 667.1.6
T Ferguson joiner 371.16.6
E Burrow slater 83.17.6
T Wandale plumber 82.12.8
J McKay painter 70.0.3
J Skedmore & Co heating 42.0.0
E Burrows grate   2.10.0
Lion Foundry gates, railing 21.18.0
WM Furling altar rail stands   4.13.6
WG Scott & Co architect 73.8.0

The organ was purchased from Harrison & Harrison, organ builders, of Durham for £200 of which Andrew Carnegie paid £100

A substantial extension was erected in the post war period.

The present (September 2014) status of the building is unclear. The paper on the lower part of the notice board indicates that services ceased in October 2013 but the name board above is in good condition and looks recent.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/145,167; SUDM3/25 (1906)

(i) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, front elevation , 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(ii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, gateway with decorative ironwork , 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(iii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, notice board , 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(iv) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, side elevation , 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(v) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel,, ancilliary buildings , 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(vi) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel,foundation stone,, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(vii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(viii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel,, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(ix) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(x) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone , 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xi) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014 (2)
G W Oxley
(xiv) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xv) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xvi) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xvii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xviii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xix) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xx) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xxi) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
GW Oxley
(xxii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xxv) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xxiv) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley
(xxiii) Ellenborough, Old Road PM Chapel, foundation stone, 20.09.2014
G W Oxley

Comments about this page

  • The opening of a previous chapel on February 10th 1861 is reported  By Adam Dodds in the Primitive Methodist magazine for May 1861 page 305. The new chapel, which cost £156 and measured 33′ x 27′, was the only chapel in the village. It was 16′ high and had an arched ceiling.

    Preachers at the opening services and tea for 360 included Bros Dodds, Taylor, T. Williamson, Esq., of Harrington;  H. Milburn; Revs. D. Kirkbride (Baptist), A. Dodds, J. Taylor, J. Worsnop and G. Dixon and Mr. Todd.

    By Christopher Hill (08/04/2018)
  • This is probably where my ancestors were part of the congregation of this chapel.  They were all strict Primitive Methodists and lived at 15 Jane St, Netherton and were probably all baptised in this church, throughout the years.

    By Christine St John (14/03/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone