Hayring Primitive Methodist chapel

Hayring: Return from the Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
transcribed by David Tonks
Hayring Primitive Methodist chapel

Nineteenth Century Ordnance Survey maps show a Primitive Methodist chapel a little way north of the cluster of houses that is Hayring, near the River Eden between Croft and Cloghall.  Today, this is as remote and rural as it gets – and there was still a chapel.

However, the 1851 Census tells us the chapel opened in 1828 and had average congregations of 50 in the afternoons and 80  in the evenings, with 30 and 20 scholars respectively in addition.

By the 1899 map the building is still there, but unlabelled – and a Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on the northern side of the River Eden, near Haggs mine.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *