Kirkbride, Hill

Grid ref NY231566

The first chapel was built in 1866 at a cost of £135.2.0 In 1868 it had 52 seats in pews and 90 free seats (CASC DFCM9/86/2). It was demolished c.1905 and a new chapel built on the site. The new chapel was designed by WG Scott of Workington and the chief contractors were W Moore of Kirkbride, builder and mason, J Beatty of Kirkbride, joiner, J Hewitson of the  St Nicholas Slate Works in Carlisle (his billhead included a view of the works adjacent tto the railway and the bridges), R Ormerod & Sons of Carlisle, plasterers, JW Mark painter and glazier. George Maisie provided twelve foundation stones and the heating apparatus (made by TW Robinson at his Dennis Park Iron Works in Stourbridge), lighting, lettering the stones, carpets and other items were sourced from various suppliers through J Stormonth, a Kirkbride nurseryman (CASC DFCM1/2/55). The chapel was 52 feet by 24 feet. In 1962 it was heated by bsix convector heaters. The schoolroom was 24 feet by 14 feet and the vestry 8 feet by 10 feet. In 1962 one of two adjacent small rooms had an elsan toilet but there was no kitchen. The premises were closed and sold for £1056 and converted to residential use in 1963 when the congregation merged with that at Kirkbride, Midtown (ex WM) (CASC DFCM1/2/54). 

CASC: Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle

01 Kirkbride PM Chapel, general view, July 2014
G W Oxley
02 Kirkbride PM Chapel, date plaque and detail of entrance porch July 2014
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.