Distington, Sunny Brow/Common End PM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY004226

Sunny Brow chapel was built of stone in 1839 at a cost of £108. In 1851 there were 58 free and 52 free other sittings  but by 1863 there were 66 lettable and 50 free sittings. At the time of building it had 28 members which had fallen to 11 by 1863 when Sunday attendances were 40. In 1940 the Chapel had 60 sittings on forms and no other rooms. It had been closed by 1980 and is now in residential use.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM2/382-387 Station reports, 1840- 1912

The National Archives HO129/171/1 /2 1851 census of religious worship

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980

Site visit 24.05.2016

Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, general view, 24.5.2016
G W Oxley
Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, entrance and date plaque, 24.5.2016
G W Oxley
Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, date plaque, 24.5.2016
G W Oxley
Distington, Sunny Brow PM Chapel, window, 24.5.2016
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone