Garrigill Primitive Methodist chapel
Gatehead CA9 3EB
The Primitive Methodist magazine of April 1857 contains an account by J Day of the opening of Garrigill Primitive Methodist chapel in the Alston circuit. Garrigill was a lead mining village with a population of just over 1,000 people. The first chapel measuring 24′ x 30′ was opened in 1825 when the society measured only seventeen members. Growing numbers resulting in it being widened by 6′, but that was not enough and in June 1856 building of a new chapel was started. It was easier because the chapel was free of debt.
The new chapel was 30′ x 36′ and 23′ high, stone built with a slate roof. It has a gallery at one end. Altogether it accommodated about 400 people, with 110 in the gallery.
The opening services started on January 23rd 1857 – a stormy day – and included a tea party. Sermons were preached by E Greenwood, G Peil, R Pearson and Rev W Lister from Westgate.
The overall cost was around £330. Donors included The London Lead Company (by RW Bainbridge), the Commissioners of the Greenwich Hospital (by John Grey) and the Duke of Cleveland;l the remaining debt was around £170, borrowed at 4.5%.
The chapel is marked on the 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1859 and on the 1981 map in the same location it is labelled as the Methodist chapel. However, this is a later building as it carries the date stone 1885. On Google Street View 2009 the building is still there but it appeared to close around 2006. You can see a picture on Geograph here.
Primitive Methodist magazine April 1857 pp.242-243
Geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2734167 accessed 09/01/2017