Harrington, Ella Bank PM Chapel and school, Cumberland

Grid ref NX992257

Harrington chapel was built of brick in 1890 at a cost of £316.7.10.  The architect was WG Scott of Workington. A new heating system was installed in 1942. In 1940 it had 300 sittings on pews. There was a schoolroom. In 1980 there were 286 sittings and two other rooms and in 1991 170 sittings and two other rooms. It was in use as a Methodist place of worship in May 2015 (Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven  YDFCM1/1/36; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Harrington Methodist Church Centenary History and Handbook, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991; site visit 13.5.2015)

Harrington, Ella Bank PM Chapel, front elevation, 13.5.2015
G W Oxley
Harrington, Ella Bank PM Chapel, rear elevation, 13.5.2015
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone