Mealsgate/Fletchertown PM preaching place and chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY207427

There was preaching place here providing 250 seats by 1881. It closed when the chapel opened in 1899. The chapel had cost of £285 and, in 1899, it had 200 seats. In 1940 the chapel had 120 sittings in pews and there was a schoolroom.

It was closed in 1942/3 and put up for sale. The draft sale particulars described it as made of heavy duty corrugated iron lined throughout with tongue and groove boards.The main hall measured 51 feet by 25 feet and it was 8½ feet to the eaves. The space was divided into two by a wood partition. The building was subsequently demolished and replaced by a bungalow.

No image of the building had been found.


Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM9/84 Wigton PM Circuit property schedules, 1868 – 1989

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM9/86/2 Wigton PM Circuit property schedules, 1890 – 1932

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM9/86/2 Wigton Methodist Circuit property schedules, 1933 – 1949

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DCFM9/63 Sale particulars

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980

Site visit 20.06.2015

Comments about this page

  • This page was updated with additional information on 26 March 2016.

    By Geoff Dickinson (26/03/2016)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.