Alton Primitive Methodist chapel
Alton Hill, Alton S42 6AW
Alton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Chesterfield circuit was opened on Sunday 25th August 1827. The chapel was converted out of an outbuilding.
The opening services were taken by John Woolley, who wrote about the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine. A Sunday school started soon after the opening and soon had 50 scholars, despite the small size of the settlement.
On the Ordnance Survey map of 1879-80 a Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Alton Hill. The Gen UK database reports that this chapel was founded in 1856, but closed after 1979.
One of the houses along Alton Hill could have been a chapel … …
Primitive Methodist magazine 1829 page 243