Bolsover Primitive Methodist chapel
Cotton Street, S44 6HA
The Primitive Methodist magazine of 1866 contains an account by IJ Hardy of the opening of Bolsover Primitive Methodist chapel.
The town was first missioned by S Atterby and J Gilbert in 1819; they were not successful initially but they were imprisoned. After other unsuccessful attempts to establish a society, the foundation stone for a new chapel was laid by John Charlesworth on September 18th 1865. Preachers on the occasion were Revs J Haigh, T Nickels, WJ Brownson and IJ Hardy.
The opening took place on March 4th 1865, when preachers included E Addy, JM Wright, C Lace, H Haynes and Mr & Mrs Banister. The new chapel measured 36′ x 33′ and seated 200. It cost £447/5/10 of which £194/15/0 had been raised.
In 1898 the congregation moved to new premises in Welbeck Road and the 1866 building was taken over by the Salvation Army, who occupied it until 1911, when it became Council Offices. It carries the plaque: ‘Bolsover Urban District Council’ ‘1911’
Town End Primitive Methodist Chapel served until 1973 when the society combined with the Wesleyan Hill Top society which had a site with more room for expansion. The Town End Chapel was demolished and a Methodist retirement home was built on the site (Pegasus Court S44 6BZ).
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1866 554-555