Alton Primitive Methodist chapel

Alton Hill, Alton S42 6AW

Alton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Chesterfield circuit was opened on Sunday 25th August 1827.  The chapel was converted out of an outbuilding. 

The opening services were taken by John Woolley, who wrote about the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine. A Sunday school started soon after the opening and soon had 50 scholars, despite the small size of the settlement.

On the Ordnance Survey map of 1879-80 a Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Alton Hill. The Gen UK database reports that this chapel was founded in 1856, but closed after 1979.

One of the houses along Alton Hill could have been a chapel … …


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1829 page 243

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone