The account in the Christian Messenger of the Bradwell Circuit noted “We have had a small society at Castleton from the beginning of the circuit’s history.” The Bradwell Circuit plan for 1826 includes regular Sunday and Tuesday meetings in this village high in the Peak District.
The first Primitive Methodist Church was built on Bargate in 1833. Derbyshire Record Office now holds the Copy conveyance by bargain and sale with feoffment Samuel Broadbent of Castleton, miner to George Bennett of Castleton, miner and others re a piece of land at Castleton whereon is built as Primitive Methodist Chapel, which is dated 5 May 1834.
The return for the chapel in the 1851 Religious Census was completed by John Butler, Class leader, who was a farmer and cattle dealer. He reported that there was seating for 90, with standing room for a further 150. Three services had been held on 30 March, with 9 adults attending the morning service, 15 in the afternoon and 62 in the evening.
Like a number of rural chapels, this one had not been registered. After 75 years service it was replaced in 1909 by a larger premises on How Lane, which is the subject of another page.
Bargate is now Pindale Road, and the site of the chapel is now occupied by “Primitive Cottage”, and that building is the one illustrated. Was this a replacement building, or can the eye of faith discern a former chapel?
Grid reference SK151825
Christian Messenger 1921/74
Derbyshire Historical Environment Record https://her.derbyshire.gov.uk/Monument/MDR11894
Derbyshire Record Office D4052/1/4
The National Archives HO 129/450/2/8/15