The Christian Messenger account of the Bradwell Circuit has this to say about the Castleton chapel.
“We have had a small society at Castleton from the beginning of the circuit’s history. Castleton is famous for its natural attractions: the wonderful winnats or windgates; the great caverns; Mam Tor. the shivering mountain; and the ancient ruins of Peveril Castle. This place is the resort of thousands of summer visitors, but the resident population is small. In recent times our cause here has flourished under the able leadership of Mr. Jesse Plunkett, and our local preachers; Mr. and Mrs. A. Adams. Mrs. Adams was formerly Sister Annie of the South East London Mission. In 1909, a new Chapel and School were erected here, which are now debtless.”
An indication of how the village had developed from a mining and farming settlement to an inland resort may be found in the fact that in 1911 Mr. Plunkett was a restaurant keeper. He had been born in Norfolk, and only moved into Castleton in the early twentieth century.
The land (740 square yards) was conveyed to the Trustees of Castleton Primitive Methodist Chapel on 16 April 1909, for the sum of £74. The chapel was registered for worship on 11 February 1911. It was sold and closed, following Methodist Union in 1934.
Following the sale, the chapel became the village hall and an indication of its present appearance may be found on their current website
Grid reference SK152830
Christian Messenger 1921/74
Derbyshire Record Office D4052/1/4