The Christian Messenger tells us that “Sheffield Road is a small chapel in Stonegravels, about half a mile from Holywell Cross. It naturally suffers from its contiguity to the larger place, but, erected in 1891, as a memorial to Rev. G. Booth, it has always done good work amongst the children of that poor neighbourhood, and is not failing to attract adults to the cause.
Amidst many fluctuating experiences, the Ashmores, Broughs, Paceys and Fryers have worked hard and persistently.”
The laying of the memorial stones for the chapel is noted in the Primitive Methodist magazine. It was expected to cost £600 of which they expected to raise around half.
The 1914 Ordnance Survey map shows the chapel on the eastern side of Sheffield Road, between Hardwick Street and Haslehurst (sic) Lane.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1890 page 699