Chesterfield Beetwell Street Primitive Methodist chapel
When first established in Chesterfield, the Primitive Methodist society rented an old Independent chapel but the chapel needed repair and was too small, so they opened a new one. The new chapel was built of stone in the Gothic style and measured 30′(w) x 48′(l) x 17′(h).
The foundation stone was laid on 6th October 1827 and the chapel opened on Sunday 18th May 1828. John Woolley described the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine. He reports that the Sunday school grew rapidly, gaining 90 scholars since its opening.
The next major step in Chesterfield was the opening of Beetwell Street chapel in 1848. It seated 600. This served until 1882 when Holywell Cross chapel was opened on the site of a former infants’ school.
A picture of Holywell Cross chapel can be seen here.
Primitive Methodist magazine for 1829 page 241