Church Gresley Primitive Methodist chapel
Market Street Swadlincote DE11 9PR
A small Primitive Methodist chapel measuring 18′(w) x 24′(l) was opened in Church Gresley in 1832. George Mansfield, a society member, gave the land and other friends helped with bricks and money. The preacher at the opening on November 6th was Brother J Peart and Joseph Taylor wrote an account in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
The chapel was lengthened in 1839. It was still not big enough for the growing congregation and Sunday School, so in 1850 was taken down and replaced by a hip roofed chapel measuring internally 38′ x 32′ x 23′ high. “Within are 56 seats, which are all let and more are requested”. It is described by Thomas Roberts in the 1851 Primitive Methodist magazine.
At the back of the pulpit was a vestry 6 yards long by 4.5 yards wide, “which is a great accommodation for select Bible classes, and for various meetings.”
The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1857 gives an account by A Johnson of the re-opening of what is called Gresley Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday January 4th 1857 after a “much needed improvement” – the boarding of the floor. The preacher was Mr Boden. At the following Tuesday’s celebration tea, sermons were preached by brothers Johnson, Worrill, Kirk, Slater and Creswell – the same people involved with the opening hence we know that Church Gresley and Gresley are the same plce.
The Ordnance Survey map for 1883 – 7 shows the Primitive Methodist chapel as being on Market Street. Thanks to Jane W for locating it precisely – see the comment below
The chapel has disappeared from the OS maps by 1901. On both the 1883-7 and 1901 maps there is a larger Primitive Methodist chapel nearly at High Cross Banks.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 434
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1851 pp. 52-53
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1857 p.175