Codnor Primitive Methodist chapels
Needham Street (DE5 9RR) and Wright Street (DE5 9RQ) Codnor
You get some idea of how basic rural Primitive Methodist chapels were when there is a celebration in the Primitive Methodist magazine in 1861 of the re-opening services following the addition of a new boarded floor to Codnor Primitive Methdist chapel.
Participating preachers were Rev. J. Stephenson and Messrs. Bennett and Smith. The date was August 25th 1861.
On the 1881 Ordnance Survey map, a Primitive Methodist chapel appears on the western side of Needham Street, close to its junction with Jessop Street. By 1900 this is labelled as “Sunday School” and a new chapel has appeared on the westerns side of Wright Street. In 1915, “Sunday School” has changed to “Institute”; in 1939 it is “Hall” and in 1852 has no label at all. The building footprint disappears by 1968. In 1968 Wright Street Methodist church still exists, but there remains no apparent evidence on Street View in 2008.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1861 pages 685-686