Derby Central Primitive Methodist chapel
St. Peter's Churchyard, Derby DE1 1NN
The former Central Primitive Methodist chapel is in the twilight zone on the edge of the central business district of Derby. In 2016 it is disused and branded as Quicksilver, having been most recently used as an amusement arcade. Google Street view shows it in the same state since August 2008. In the 1970s it had been converted into a furniture shop and later a bingo hall.
Central Primitive Methodist chapel was opened for worship in 1878. The Primitive Methodist churches at Traffic Street and Kedleston Street were unable to meet the growing needs of central Derby and a Mission was established in the Athenaeum Rooms, Victoria Street for four years. During this time the Mission organised some of the largest Missionary and Sunday School gatherings ever held in the town. The result was the Central Church, opened in 1878 on the corner of St Peter’s Churchyard and Green Street. In design it was almost identical to the chapel in Kedleston Street.
You can read here an account of the development of Primitive Methodism in Derby from the Handbook of the 94th Primitive Methodist Conference, held in Derby in 1913.