Derby Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel
Lower Dale Rd, Derby DE23 6WZ
Dale Road Primitive Methodist chapel in Derby is in the inner city area. In 2016 it continues to be used as a church, but by the Serbian community. It had closed as a Methodist church in 1962.
The commemorative stones on the front have been covered, but the ones on the side of the building are still visible. They commend Miss E E Cooper, Mrs H Jeffrey, Miss E Bowyer and “Mr A D Mitchell for his son Harry”
As the population of Normanton expanded in the nineteenth century, a room in Church Street was used for a new Primitive Methodist Society. In 1880, the Traffic Street chapel in Derby took the initiative to build a Sunday School on Dale Road which was initially also used for worship. The chapel itself opened in 1901. The cost of the chapel and school was £3,120.
In 1903 it became head of the Derby 4th Circuit.
You can read here an account of the development of Primitive Methodism in Derby from the Handbook of the 94th Primitive Methodist Conference, held in Derby in 1913.