Doe Lea Valley mining community was missioned so successfully that in 1892 the foundation stones for a first Primitive Methodist chapel and school were laid. The chapel would seat around 300 people and there would be several classrooms.
The cost would be around £800, with the colliery company “contributing very liberally”.
The 1897 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel just west of the River Doe Lea itself, north of the Mansfield Road. Intriguingly, Street View in 2009 lets us glimpse what may well be the chapel through the trees. Thanks to Sheree Stray for confirming that the chapel still exists in 2021 and providing the pictures. The site appears to be used as a builders yard.